* = Counterpicks
Any player who selects Battlefield or Final Destination may instead choose to play on any stage’s Battlefield or Omega form, respectively.
Stage Hazards are always turned off.
Our club is in good standing with Purdue University, and we are graciously allowed to use one of their computer labs for our events and meetings. For that reason, and for the sake of respecting your fellow players and our equipment, please observe the following venue rules:
Be nice and treat others the way that you want to be treated.
Don’t break anything (except for the spirit of your opponents).
Respect all official Purdue policies, such as only smoking in designated areas.
Our room is NOT a designated smoking/vaping/e-cigarette area, by the way.
We’re allowed to sometimes get loud and get excited for our players, we encourage it, but don’t be annoying or overly loud to the point that we get complaints. Show good sportsmanship.
Follow the instructions and guidance of those who run the brackets. The time we get with our venue is limited, so please cooperate and help us make our tournaments finish on time. Don’t interrupt or
greatly interfere with anyone playing a tournament match.
We often have setups available for friendly, non-tournament play, but please allow players in the bracket priority for any open setups.
Don’t mess with the Switch consoles. Don’t delete anything or change with any system settings.
The schedule for which we have our room (5 PM to 11 PM every Thursday) is strictly enforced. People will be using our room before us, and custodians will come to clean it afterwards.
Keep the room clean, especially before we leave for the night.
If you need to unplug or move anything in the room, plug it back in and move it back before you leave. It is annoying for the custodians if we forget to do this.
Please don’t be a smelly nerd stereotype. Be clean, be hygienic, wear clean clothes, and wear deodorant. You can bring a small fan if its warm, that could help. Our club hasn’t really had an issue with this, let’s keep it that way.
Very, very rarely, we have had to ban people from our community and our meetings. Let’s be chill and hopefully that doesn’t have to happen to anyone else.
Apart from that, anyone is welcome at our meetings, whether you’re a Purdue student or otherwise. Bring friends! Bring your teacher! Bring your grandma! Don’t bring your dog...Unless it's a therapy dog.
The Tournament Format
The bracket is double elimination, meaning that there is a winners bracket and a losers bracket. Losing two sets will eliminate you from the tournament. The winner of the Winners Finals and Losers Finals will face off in Grand Finals. Whoever comes from Winners will win the tournament if they win the set, but whoever comes from Losers will have to win one set to send the other player to Losers, then whoever wins that following set will win the tournament. Our tournament doesn’t have any pre-qualifying pools or brackets, so everyone is entered into the same bracket.
A game is one single played game of Smash Bros. A set (or a match) is multiple consecutive games. The sets at our tournaments are best-of-3 (or first-to-2), meaning that the player who wins two games first will win the set and advance through the bracket. Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals are instead best-of-5 (first-to-three).
Our brackets are seeded, which means that they are designed in such a way that our more skilled players will usually meet each other later in the bracket. Anyone who demonstrates good performance in tournament will tend to be given a higher seed, while newer, less known players will begin with a low seed.
— Throwdown Thursday Ruleset and Procedures —
Throwdown Thursday will usually be singles (1-on-1) matches, but may on rare occasion feature other formats such as doubles (2-on-2). We will announce each weekly’s format ahead of time. Each setup will be on the latest game version, will have all available characters, and will be set to English.
All characters are allowed
Timer: 8 minutes
Items: Off and None
Stage Hazards: Off
Launch Rate: 1.0x
FS Meter: Off
Damage Handicap: Off
Custom Balance: Off
Stage Morph: Off
Underdog Boost: Off
Score Display: Off
Show Damage: Yes
Stage Selection: Loser’s Pick
Echo Fighters: Separate
Mii Fighter Rules:
All Mii Fighter movesets are allowed.
Each distinct Mii moveset is considered its own separate character. You can only change Mii movesets at times that you can change your character.
You are allowed to make new Mii Fighters in the middle of a set, but you must make them as quickly as possible, otherwise it will be considered stalling.
Name your Miis as their moveset (for example, 1111 or 1332).
Allow your opponent to know what moveset your Mii Fighter uses before each game, demonstrate moves if need be.
For the sake of quickly making Miis mid-set, please use one of the 6 Guest Miis and please only change their name, moveset, name, and their outfit color.
More customized Miis can be allowed if creating them doesn’t disrupt the tournament, but please always include their moveset in their name.
- Each player chooses the characters they will use for the first game. A double blind pick may be requested by either player (both players write down a character name, then they both will reveal their selection simultaneously and will be forced to select that character for the first game).
- Both players will play rock-paper-scissors. The player who wins will decide who begins to counterpick stages first.
- The player chosen to begin stage counterpicks will strike one of the five starter stages. The other player will strike two of the remaining four stages. Then, the chosen player will strike one of the two remaining stages, choosing which stage will be played for the first game.
- Both players play the game. If the game goes to Sudden Death, the player with lower percent wins. In the rare event of an exact tie, a one-stock, two minute game will be played on the same stage to determine a winner.
- The player who wins the previous game will, out of the eight legal stages, strike two of them. The player who lost the previous game will choose one of the six remaining stages to play on. They are not allowed to choose the previous stage they won on in the set, if they’ve already won a game (Modified Dave’s Stupid Rule).
- The player who wins the previous game will then either choose to remain with the same character they just played with, or will choose a different character. The player who lost the previous game will then do the same.
- Repeat from Step 4 until one player has won enough games to win the set (two, or three if the set is Winners Finals, Losers Finals, or Grand Finals).
If the game ends with a self-destruct move, the results screen will determine the winner, as usual.
Make sure your wireless devices and controllers aren’t causing interference with our Switch setups.
Avoid putting two Nintendo Switch setups at adjacent monitors, try to leave one in between.
If the format for the tournament happens to be Squad Strike, please do not use a character on the same team as its echo fighter (for example, Peach and Daisy). The one exception to this rule is the combination of Ryu and Ken.
Amiibo are not allowed.
Gentleman’s Clause: Players are allowed to agree to start a set on a specific stage without counterpicking. If both players mutually agree to it, a game in a set may be played on any official stage (no custom stages).
- For the doubles (2-on-2) format:
- Team Attack is on.
- Stock sharing is allowed.
- Don’t swap controllers mid-game with your partner.
- Please choose character colors that match the team color you are playing on, or at least don’t heavily clash with it. For example, if you are playing Kirby on the Green Team, please choose either Kirby’s green color or his black-and-white color.
If you are unsure about a ruling or our tournament procedure, you may ask a Tournament Organizer or another player for guidance. It may be a lot to take in at first, but in time everything will come naturally. If you have other questions, or if you’d like to socialize with the Purdue Smash Ultimate Club outside of tournaments, feel free to join our Discord server at https://discord.gg/ftrjZaj. Good luck, have fun, and show :ZERO_MERCY: